Art classes were not offered in her school when Kathie George was a child. So, she did not take a formal art class until after she was married – when her husband Michael signed her up for a college class as a surprise. Little did he know what he was in for! That art class changed their lives forever. From that moment on, any leisure time she could find was spent painting. In 1985, she quit her job and began to devote all of her time to her new career. A talented artist, as well as a much-sought-after workshop instructor, Kathie now resides in Kettering, Ohio.
Her work is primarily watermedia or collage, but she is best known for her ‘watercolor batik on rice paper’ work.
“My batik paintings are a direct reflection of who I am”, she says. “My sensitive nature shows through in my interpretation of nature or figure. The soft color, direct shapes and images are impressions from my mind. It is my view of the world. Even the sensual surface upon which I work is indicative of my way of thinking.”
Her batik process is an emotional and challenging one, building layer upon layer of wax and color. There is mystery and excitement involved as the painting progresses, because it becomes increasingly difficult to see color and images as the wax builds. At that point, Kathie relies on emotion and internal feeling to guide her. Intuitively, she knows when the piece is complete.
As a workshop instructor for over 25 years, Kathie is known for her friendly, informative and energetic approach to teaching. Her students say “she has an innate ability to know what a student needs and then show them how to get there.” No doubt this may be one reason students return to her workshops over and over again.
Kathie George’s award winning work can be found in many corporate and private collections in the US and abroad. She has twice been a finalist in Artist Magazine’s Art Competition (among 14,000 entrants) and her work was featured in their Limited Edition Calendar in 2001, and again in 2007.
Kathie has authored 5 watercolor books and written numerous magazine articles for well-known artist magazines. She’s a signature member of both the Ohio and Florida Watercolor Societies.
- National Watercolor Society
- Ohio Watercolor Society, Exhibition Award
- Louisiana Watercolor Society International Exhibit
- ARTIST Magazine Art Competition Finalist – twice. And twice selected for their limited edition calendar
- Louisiana Tech University, Design Encounter – Best of Show
- Schumacher Gallery, Capital University, Canton, OH
- Florida Watercolor Society
- Splash 12
- Splash 11
- Artist Sketchbook – cover and special feature
- American Artist magazine
- The Decorative Painter
- Painting Acrylics by Vicki Lord, published by Northlight Publications
- Winsor & Newton ad – painting featured
- Watercolor Made Easy, Volumes I – IV
- Watercolor Magazine Simply Beautiful Watercolors
- Cornell Museum of Art & History Multi-media Exhibition
- Palm Beach Watercolor Society 25 th Anniversary Exhibition
- West Bank Art Guild, New Orleans, LA